Mushin: The Silence of Mind
Betta Fish, 2019 Sumi-e on paper, 70 × 50 cm
In sumi-e, a painting is not made. It appears.
In 2019, I sat in front of the paper without the intention of creating a finished work. I only wanted to begin and see what might emerge. I picked up one of my thickest brushes and imagined making a few broad marks before adding smaller touches later.
But first, I paused. I followed my breath and sat in silence for a short while. The mind slowed down.
As I looked at the paper, a fish appeared. It had not yet passed from brush to paper, but it was already there.
Then the brush moved. One stroke, then another.
When I lifted the brush, a betta fish was there.
That moment stayed with me because I had not planned the image. There had only been a quiet state, a gesture, and something that emerged through it.
This is close to what I understand as mushin: not the absence of awareness, but the absence of interference. In such moments, the work is not forced. It appears.
I never sold that painting. I kept it in my own collection, because it was not only a fish. It was the trace of a moment.
H.Ş. — 25/04/2026
.jpeg)
Yorumlar
Yorum Gönder